Fuel Gauge Linearity

To: Triumph Email List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Gauge Linearity
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:54:55 -0700
A few years ago during the restoration of my TR4A I replaced the fuel
sending unit with a new one from Moss. The fit was perfect. The
linearity though seems very skewed towards either full or empty. I fill
the tank up and the gauge reads pegged at full. Drive for about 120 or
so miles and the needle begins drifting towards empty pretty rapidly and
hits empty(the red area) around 180 miles, and there's still another
three or so gallons left! Now I lived with it for the last 3 years and
actually have become used to it (shame on me) but I would like to get it
right.

While the car was untouched for 15+ years before the resto I don't seem
to recall the gauge being that skewed towards empty or full. The voltage
regulator is new and the temp gauge works fine. There was no adjustment
on the sending unit's arm, but bending it would only skew one end (empty
or full) not both. To me it seems like a longer arm would solve the
problem, or a sending unit with a more non-linear control. Is there a
test spec that measures ohms per angle rotation?

So, have others who have replaced their sending unit experienced the
same non-linearity? Was there a bad lot from Moss? How long is the arm
on the original sending unit?

Thanks!
Johnnie