Run on and idle continued

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Run on and idle continued
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:29:56 -0400
I went through all the electrics again today. Gap, timing, returned to
original coil and bought a new coil lead. Even after resetting the timing I
still could not get the idle under 1200.  The sports six does not have a
tach so I hooked up an external meter. I soon became more confident that the
problem is not electrical. (Fred has preached to me over and over that most
carb problems are electrical)  So I decided to pull the air cleaner off and
just take a look. I discovered that the front carb was sucking a tremendous
amount of air. Double that of the rear carb. I disconnected the linkage
between the two carbs and backed the idle screw all the way. This had no
effect. I'm toying with the idea of installing a set of newly rebuilt (boy
are the pretty) HS6 carbs using an adapter plate. The Stromberg's that I
have are the emissions carbs and they do not have any adjustments.

Question should I try the HS6 carbs? If so, I have never set up a set from
scratch. How many flats do I turn the jet assembly to obtain a baseline?
Would the baseline setup be similar to the H6 that are on my TR3

I brought the carb I removed into the house to look it over to detect any
possible problems. I removed the fuel bowl and it was clean inside. I
removed the temperature compensator cover to see if the valve was closing or
perhaps stuck open. Valve was closed. Butterfly seals to where no visible
light shines through when looking through the body. Every thing appears to
be correct.

I then realized that the gasket to manifold was still in place. I decided to
remove the gasket; that was when I noticed that I had originally installed
the gasket upside down. By doing this the gasket does not align correctly
and covers what I believe to be a breather hole located on the mating flange
of the carb body.

Could this be the problem? Should I reinstall the carb or should I go with
the SU's.

The strange thing is this car used to run very well a couple of months ago.

Do any of you run a set of HS6 carbs on a GT6 2lt engine? If so please
contact me for further questions.

Ronnie