TR4A Engine Rebuilding Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Engine Rebuilding Question
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:16:41 -0400
Hello All,
In the process of rebuilding my TR4A motor, I have had to replace the
camshaft due to a couple of bad cam lobes. I also ordered a new set of
tappets from BPNW which is who I bought the cam from too by the way.  I
noticed that several of the tappets had a lot of "bluing" along their sides.
The cam lobe surface on a lot of the lifters were worn  but I kind of
expected that.
Without having the convenience of "being there" the last time the engine was
run, I can only guess how good it ran at the end there.. It is obviously
caused by excessive heat and I suppose one reason could be low oil pressure.
Does anybody have any other possible causes for the bluing?
I have had the block boiled out and am planning on blowing out all the oil
passages and using brushes to clean all the passages so hopefully I can rule
out oil passage problems. I also dressed the grooves out of the bottom cover
of my oil pump and replaced the drive gears so I should have good oil
pressure.
Any other things to look for that could have caused this problem?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a