Re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?

To: drewfrink@mac.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:11:03 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/2005 11:08:18 AM Central Standard Time,
drewfrink@mac.com writes:
> My question is this: should I track down a right angle drive for this
> cable? I don't want to install the cable I have just to have it break
> again. Is there just one drive for TR4-Tr250 trannys?

The TR2,3, and 4's had a longer cable when the overdrive is fitted.  There is
a provision for the cable in the floor mounted handbrake boot.  From 4A's on
(thru TR6) the hand brake was moved to the driveshaft tunnel.  These cars used
the same cable as the non-OD equipped cars but with the right angle drive
that fit everything under the transmission cover (a tight fit but it fit).

So the short answer is: no, you don't need a right angle drive for your early
model TR4.

As to why does the cable break?  As others suggested, look at the speedo.
Over the intervening 40 odd years the bearings in there have dried up.  Install
the new speedo cable but leave it disconnected at both ends.  Make sure there
are no tight bends, only generous loops.  Turn the transmission end and note
the amount of resistance you get.  You should get no more resistance than this
with it connected to the speedometer head.  If you do then get the speedometer
fixed.  Look for Speedometer repair in your local yellow pages directory.

Dave