Re: possible gearshift disaster?

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: possible gearshift disaster?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:15:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/2005 8:36:10 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> Tonight I took the cover off my non-od gearbox. With this cover off, I
> discovered that if I tried lifting the gearshift straightup I could cause
> it's bottom little knob to come-up and out the three-rod shifting apparatus.
> I hope I'm not done for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>     If this were to happen while driving, the car would be useless!!!!!!! It
> went back in-place so I'm trying not to worry that I've done any harm.  I
> think one normally only lifts up the gearshift to go into reverse, right?

That don't sound right.  The lever should be held in place by a cap that
captures some springs and spacers to prevent the lever from coming up far
enough
to disengage  the shift rods.  You may have to take it apart and compare it to
the diagram in the book and see if something is mission.

And, no, you're not done for.  These things are always repairable.  And in
this case easily so.

Dave