Re: Differential Woes

To: rcrabbe@sympatico.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential Woes
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:05:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/2005 7:45:09 AM Central Standard Time,
rcrabbe@sympatico.ca writes:
> Well my wife and I headed out for a pleasant weekend @ the Roadster Factory
> Outing - Not.
> We managed to get 200 miles into the States 100 miles driving and 100 miles
> on
> a flatbed back home. Thank goodness for CAA and AAA.
> The car was running great until I heard a small clang and then another one
> and
> as I pulled off the side of the road the rear wheels locked up.
> Long story short once I got the car back home and up on stands it appears
> the
> rear end had let loose some how, not sure what that's today's project to get
> it out and have a look, only outward sign is fluid all over the front end of
> the unit, yesterday was to get into the bottle of scotch I had taken for the
> trip.
> Question is  - is it better to anticipate repairing or replacing the
> differential - depending on what is wrong of course.
> Is this type of problem common with these rear ends.
> If I look for a replacement what should I check out as far as obvious things
> gobuying a used unit.
> Thanks for the input group, sorry to miss the event - better to have
> happened
> where it did instead of further down the mountains though.

Deja vu.  I had the same thing happen.  But closer to home.  I broke a tooth
or two off of the pinion gear.  According to a certain machinist who has vast
experience in Triumphs, these things were notoriously weak.  Something to do
with inadequate surface hardening.

At any rate, if you can find yourself a new diff for about $100 you'll be $
ahead. I did that about 15 years ago and it still works great.

Another option is to get Richard Good's Nissan diff conversion.  Cheaper than
a rebuild and you get limited slip to boot.  But make sure the halfshaft
splines are in good working order, these don't take to axial stress very well.

Sorry about your adversity but it comes with the territory.

Cheers and good luck.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6