Re: Extra brown wire

To: jmitch@snet.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Extra brown wire
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:55:55 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/2005 6:10:34 PM Central Standard Time,
jmitch@snet.net writes:
>     I put my engine back in today and started hooking up the new wiring
> harness.  In the grouping of wires going to the alternator , there's a
> large multi plug for the alternator, a wire to the Temperature sender, 2
> wires(pink white and yellow white) to the coil,  and a single brown wire
> with a lucar connector.  Any idea what the brown wire goes to?  Thanks
> for any help,   John Mitchell  76 TR6

I'm not sure about the 76 but I seem to recall that the 74 had a separate
brown wire to the alternator separate fromt he multi-pin connector.  The wiring
diagram in Dan Master's book (Do you have one?  Why not?) shows two brown wires
and a brown/yellow wire get connected to the altrernator.  One brown wire is
the heavy, current carryinf wire and the other is a remote sense wire.  I
think the Delco alternator that was used alternately with the Lucas had a
separate
sense connection remote from the multi-pin connector.  Your alternator may or
may not require this connection.

But looking at Dan's wiring diagram I see no other brown connections in that
area.

Dave