RE: Redoing Dash (was TR3A Radio Location)

To: <WLHoss@aol.com>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Redoing Dash (was TR3A Radio Location)
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:09:14 -0700
Bill,

When I restored my TR3, I just pealed the vinyl off of the sheet metal. Mine
wasn't as well glued as yours must be! Then I cleaned the dash with
acetone/MEK, etc. to remove the glue, painted it and replaced the vinyl. I
would NOT recommend using any of the 3M spray-on contact cements. I did on
the dash and was not happy with the results, they just don't seem to have
the 'holding' power of the brush on versions. I used DAP Contact Cement on
other parts of the interior with much better results! I used 'cheap' throw
away bristle brushes at ~59 cents from Ace Hdw!

Regarding your quest for radio mounting suggestions:
When I restored my '58 TR3, I made some small L-shaped aluminum brackets and
screwed them to the right interior side of the battery box and the passenger
side kick-panel on the right side of the car to support a new shelf below
the glove box. I made the shelf out of 3/8' plywood with a thin solid wood
piece on the front edge to hide the open grain. I painted the shelf and the
brackets satin black. Mounted the radio to the top of the shelf directly
under the rear and sort of supporting the glove box, plus a lighter (reverse
wired so I could power my Cell Phone charger!), the switch for my electric
fan, and then hung a fire extinguisher from the under side of the shelf up
against the kick panel. The result was a very neat and hardly noticeable
addition to a 'Concours' quality restoration. I don't think I lost many, if
any points because of this shelf in my many showings of the car!

Of course, YMMV and NFI!

Good luck,

Jim
Jim Bauder