Re: Brake Recommendations for TR4-6

To: tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Brake Recommendations for TR4-6
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:04:36 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

...So, even before reading "Screw to Win", my suggestion is that you
think
about just what aspect of brake operation you find inadequate.  Make
sure
it's not due to some defect in your particular car.  THEN you can start
wondering about what to change.

======
I agree with everything Randall said and would only add one other point
(possibly obvious, but...). There is the old adage that "brakes stop
the wheels, but TIRES stop the car"! No matter how good the brakes are,
if you're still riding on those same Cordovan bias-ply tires that a
previous owner mounted on the car in 1977...or even if you've got
pretty decent radials, but they've been on longer than
Seinfeld...that's something else to look at. ;-)

Maybe it's partly because I'm kinda cheap, but I usually try to get
back to more or less what the factory originally intended, and seeing
how well that works, before "improving" things like brakes. Almost
always works for me, even on my all-drum-braked Herald!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>