Re: TR4 top questions

To: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 top questions
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 01:49:56 -0700
Dean,

Those front straps that you describe sound like they are for a TR4A.  On
that model, those front straps are fitted with female lift-a-dot snaps and
snap on to their male counterparts that are attached to the inside corners
of the front crossbow (the main frame part that clams down on the top of the
windshield).  The elastic hooks that hook on to the windshield frame on a
TR4 top were deleted for the TR4A top, since its operation is quite
different, and their purpose is now served by the aforementioned straps. You
also noted that those hooked straps are missing on your new top. For these
reasons, I think it entirely possible that your MG man ordered a TR4A top
for you.  He admittedly knows little of TRs, and he would not be the first
to confuse a 4 with a 4A.  For the money you have spent, you deserve the
satisfaction of receiving the proper top for your car.

I hope this information is useful, and good luck getting resolution.

--Chris, TR4A
"Middle aged guy in an Old Man's car" ;)