Re: Speedometer Cable Lube

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Cable Lube
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:47:52 -0700
Bill Brewer wrote:

>     What is the best lube for a TR3 Speedometer cable? I assumed that you did
>it with grease and using duct tape to the grease gun to get it in the cable. A
>friend of mine says that you should use a graphite or spray in cable lube.
>     Anyone with recent experience with this?

I had always used graphite but last time I got a new inner cable (broke
due to speedo problem, not cable lube) I asked the old guy at the
speedometer shop what he recommended and he said grease.  Easiest way to
apply it I would think is to pull out the inner cable, grease it up and
reinsert.  Can be done from the drivers seat if you cover the immediate
interior and anything else you don't want grease on.

I think the key thing is to not use a light oil lest it work its ways
into the speedo/tach where too much lube is more trouble than too little.

Geo Hahn