Acclaim Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Acclaim Questions
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:17:51 +0100
Dear All,

I have asked the following questions on the Yahoo! Groups Acclaim list,
but no-one has managed to answer them, so I now appeal to the collective
knowledge of the Big List...

CHASSIS NUMBERS (VIN)
Does anyone happen to know the VIN of the last Triumph Acclaim ever
made?   Mine is rather late, and it would be nice to know just how near
the end of the run she was made.

OPTIONAL EXTRAS
Can anyone come up with a comprehensive list of optional extras on the
Acclaim CD?   There must be a brochure somewhere containing this
information.

TEMPERATURE GAUGE
The manual says that the needle should normally rest midway between C
and H.   Fair enough.   On a long run last night, the needle reached,
and stayed at, a position about 40% of the way between C and H.   I
presume that this is good. :-)   Am I right in thinking that the line
about a third of the way between C and H denotes that the engine has
reached normal operating temperature?   And that the line just short of
the H line denotes that you had really better stop the car before it
boils over?

HORN
I find that striking the centre of the wheel sounds the horn perfectly
well, but that pressure on the edges of the horn button (e.g., where the
horn symbols are) has no effect.   Is this something that should worry
me, or is it normal?

TOOL-KIT
What came as standard?   I have a jack and jacking handle (which do not
appear ever to have been used - the original spare tyre certainly
hasn't) and two largish plastic wallets, each containing a
short-handled, L-shaped, wheelbrace and nothing else.   This can't be
right, can it?

FUEL
Given that my car has only ever driven 40,000 miles, and there are no
signs of an unleaded conversion, do I need to use a fuel additive if I
fill up with unleaded, given that the engine was designed to run on 2
Star?

WHISTLE
When driving back from the Fens, there was a faint and intermittent
"wind whistling in the trees" noise.   Adjusting the air supply into the
car didn't make any difference.   Opening and re-closing all the windows
ditto.   Is this likely to be (a) because I had the radio aerial up, (b)
because all Acclaims do this, or (c) something else?

FLOOR MATS
Were these available from dealers?   Are there any NOS ones around?   My
interior is so good, I'd like to try and keep it that way.

TINTED WINDOWS
Did all Acclaims, or all Acclaim CDs, come with tinted windows?   I
noticed today that mine are lightly tinted a sort of greenish-brown.

WHY?
... doesn't every Triumph fan love these cars?   They are, to my mind,
exactly what the team who designed the Vitesse would have designed if
they had done it twenty years later.   Family saloons with power,
handling, refinement, and the odd bit of quirkiness to keep us amused.
OK, they don't seem to leak oil very much, and I'm told they don't break
down often enough, and since they don't have Lucas electrics, one of the
major talking points of earlier Triumphs is missing, but these are great
cars!

Thanks in advance for any answers, comments or verbal abuse!

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV