Re: Blue brake fluid...Blue brake fluid...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blue brake fluid...Blue brake fluid...
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:11:15 EDT
Hi Kurtis,
   ATE Super Blue is good stuff and about all I use now.  It's very popular
among racers and motorcyclists.
   I'd rate it as a better fluid than Castrol LMA. High temp (ATE boiling
point: 536/396F dry/wet, compared to 446/311F for LMA). Yes, it's DOT 4 and not
silicon based, fully compatible with other DOT 3 or 4 fluids. It is less prone
to absorbing moisture than most brake fluids.  And ATE (~$10 liter) is one
heck of a lot less expensive than Castrol SRF (~$70 liter) and many other high
performance "racing" brake fluids.
   It's also nice that you can actually see the fluid level in the typical
translucent plastic reservoir found on most cars and motorcycles. Not much help
with older LBCs in this respect, of course, since many have solid reservoirs.
   There is an identical ATE fluid, Type 200, that is amber in color so that
it's easy to tell when replacing the fluid that all the old stuff has been
purged. Just a matter of alternating using one or the other.
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   '62 TR4 CT17602L
Has anyone had any experience with ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid?
I think this may be what is in Sprite (and puddled on my basement
floor after braking a clutch hydraulic line).  The fluid is a bright
blue color.  In searching the web, I can't find any reference to a
"blue" brake fluid other than this stuff (which seems to be a DOT 4
fluid).  I'm considering just purging the stuff that's in there with
Castrol LMA.  Even if it's some sort of silicone base brake fluid,
would I need to do anything more than drain this stuff and replace it
with the Castrol LMA?