RE: high milage TR3's?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: high milage TR3's?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:03:42 -0700
> What are some of the highest milage TR3's around?  (close estimates of
> accurate milage are ok).

It's not a real close estimate, but I'm pretty sure the clock on TS39781LO has
been turned over three times, making it's current reading 307,000 miles.  I find
that hard to believe, but it had 18k on the clock when I got it in 1984, and was
clearly NOT a 18k mile car (so I assume 118k then).  I have a record from a few
years later, showing that it read 80k; then another record after that showing
40k; and it currently shows 7k (the wreck is stored in my driveway and I
looked).

And no, it didn't run backwards !

The car has actually gone farther than that, I think, as it seems to have been
one of the rare cars delivered with the 4.10 rear axle, but the previous owner
swapped it out for a 3.70 axle without replacing the speedo head, so the
odometer has always read low even with the short tires I've been running.  And I
drove for at least a few months, maybe longer, with the speedo cable broken.

Of course, it's a bit like that famous ax with the head replaced twice and the
handle three times ... none of the driveline is original and at least some of
the body has been replaced.  The rear axle was already changed when I got it,
and I swapped the engine with one out of a 56 TR3 many years ago because I
didn't have money or time to rebuild it properly. Then the transmission was
replaced just a few years ago with a 4-synchro box built from various parts by
Herman van den Akker.

Man I miss that car !
Randall