Spitfire? Lucas Distributor identification -

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire? Lucas Distributor identification -
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:47:24 -0700
I bought a replacement Lucas Distributor for my wife's Spitfire, part
number 45DE4 >>--->>0979, with 41697B  cast into it, which would indicate
to me a Federal model 77-79 model with the amplifier mounted on the side
(which outwardly it appears to be).  However this particular one has an
optical trigger, not the magnetic one that I am familiar with.  This
trigger is NOT an after market unit as the three sensor wires go directly
into the amplifier module through the correct grommet, and have not been
spliced in any way.  It has a plastic trigger wheel with four narrow blades
approx < inch in width that interrupt the optical signal, with the four
corresponding slots or open areas approx > inch wide.  The plastic sensor
is a U-shaped item, obviously made for the distributor mounting plate as
the mounting tabs are molded with the holes in the proper places.  This is
NOT a Crane, Allison, or Pertronics unit - I know what these units look like.
All the distributors I have seen like this (but I may not have seen them
all :-}) use a magnetic trigger - The module is mounted to the side of the
body of the dist which also has the vacuum unit attached, has three wires
exiting out the bottom with a connector on it.  It has a working vacuum
advance (not retard unit) and outwardly looks just like the current one on
the car now.
Anybody have any info as to what this is actually from - maybe a later 1500
MG midget?  I would actually like to replace the unit that is currently in
the car as it has the magnetic type - It fits in the engine correctly with
the correct pedestal, etc. but I prefer the optical unit as I believe that
they may be a little more reliable -

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)