RE: TR6 trans in a STAG??

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 trans in a STAG??
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:32:29 -0700
> Will a TR6 J-type OD trans fit into a STAG?
>
> What, if any, mods are required?

At the very least, you need a different input shaft.  I've no idea offhand
if the Stag input shaft could be used with TR6 gears in the box, but I
suspect it's likely if it's a late TR6 box.  The clutch shaft I think can
just be turned around (the Stag clutch lever is on the other side).  TOB
carrier and bearing is different, maybe the front cover is too.

The factory felt it important to use needle bearings for the countershaft
thrust bearings for the Stag ... since this is a common problem point for
the TRs, they probably had the right idea.

Overall, it's probably easier and better to add a TR6 J-type to an existing
Stag gearbox.  I believe you'll want to turn the pressure up a bit, and the
speedo drive gears probably won't be right unless you change them.  But as I
recall (don't have my reference material handy), the J-type mainshaft from a
TR6 will fit the Stag box and the adapter should fit.  Not sure offhand if
the rear cover (tail housing) is the same between the two ODs, but I'm
pretty sure the bracket for the rear mount attaches differently.

You'll need some other parts to convert your Stag, like the rear
crossmember, transmission mounting bracket, exhaust hanger, speedo cable and
possibly new head pipes.  The wiring is in the Stag harness, but you'll need
the subharness and connector to the lockout switches and solenoid, plus some
arrangement for the switch.  Originally, OD Stags had a different shift
lever, knob and subharness to the switch in the knob.

FWIW I've got a couple of non-OD Stag gearboxes in need of rebuilding.  I
could probably be persuaded to part with one ...

Randall