RE: TR3 OD slow in engaging

To: "Augustine, Scott \(LNG-CSP\)" <Scott.Augustine@LexisNexis.com>,
Subject: RE: TR3 OD slow in engaging
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:17:44 -0700
> As I
> went through my 500 mile break-in period of the engine the overdrive
> engagement got slower and slower.  Now it will engage only after at least 15
> seconds and only the first few times I try to use it.

Scott, when you try engaging the solenoid with the engine off (key on, shift in
4th), is the click from under the car still instantaneous ?

Have you checked the solenoid drop ? (How far the plunger falls down when the
solenoid releases) Some ODs had a rubber bumper there, that is frequently
missing and NLA.  The cure is to tap the stop for a bolt & locknut, to form an
adjustment.

If all that is OK, my next step would be to pull the transmission tunnel, and
check the solenoid adjustment using the "ball lift" method rather than the
factory "pin" method.  Opinions vary, but I like to see about 1/16" (.060")
movement at the ball (with no pressure).

If that doesn't clear up the problem, next step is a hydraulic pressure test.

Randall