RE: "Triumph" SD1?

To: "'Raymond Hatfield'" <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "Triumph" SD1?
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:41:09 +0100

The 6 cylinder engine which ultimately ended up in the SD1 was developed
from the familiar Triumph engine, however I don't believe the eventual
production unit shared any individual components with it's ancestor.
The engine was fitted into a number of specially built bodyshells, commonly
referred to as the Triumph 2000 Mk3. A number of these development cars
survive, though I'm not aware of any which still carry the Rover engine. The
engine bay is enlarged with a corresponding increase in length  and changed
styling around the nose, as compared to the familiar Mk2 model. Dave Pearson
(of Canley Classics) owns a number (most?) of the surviving Mk3 cars in
various forms, one of these cars in V8 guise is pictured here:
http://www.canleyclassics.com/museumcars.asp?article=v8saloon
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics