TR4A Main Bearing Installation Problem

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Main Bearing Installation Problem
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:25:04 -0400
List,
I have another problem with my TR4A motor assembly. Tonight, I started by
installing my new camshaft into my freshly painted block with no problems at
all. I decided to install my reground crankshaft so it could install my new
rear main seal.
Everything was fine until I tried to install the standard size thrust
bearings. I ran into two problems. The first was that the outer radius of
the thrust washer was slightly larger than the little relief milled into the
side of the center main cap. It was just slightly different so, I gently
pressed the thrust bearing in until it snapped into the relief. Question one
is, is this normal!!? GOD, I hope not!!!
The second problem is that one end of the thrust washer sticks out beyond
the mating surface of the bearing (where is splits) by about 0.040". I
posted some pictures of my dilemma on my website in the engine page.
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a. I am hoping that the guy I bought them from
(thrust washers) are out of a TR6 or something..
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt