RE: TR3A cylinder head torque

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A cylinder head torque
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:42:09 -0700
> On page 48 of my Haynes manual (step 59.7) it says to torque the head
> nuts to 45 lbs.

So I whipped out my Haynes manual to mark the correction ... but it says 100 to
105.  Seems this particular mistake got caught and corrected between the first
edition and the second edition (1980).

BTW, deformed threads were what I was calling "stretched studs" ... the threads
are the weakest point so that is where they stretch in my experience.  I was
using the copper/asbestos gaskets (which are still available although I'm sure
it's an asbestos substitute), but it seems the engine block I was using was not
machined correctly at the factory.  As a result, the liners stood out by the
proper .004" on one side, but the side I didn't measure was only about .0015".

Randall