Re: Clutch Update

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Update
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:51:58 -0400
Yep everyone has a bore scope in their tool box <grin>.

I've only experienced the problem 1 time and for some reason it wasn't
affecting my clutch action. I only discovered that the pin was broken when I
took the assembly apart. I have disassembled several gearboxes that had
broken pins in them however. My guess is that if the pin is broken and
allowing excessive slop in the system one could determine that pretty easily
under the car. Disconnect the slave cylinder push rod and rotate the clutch
shaft. If you can move it to some resistance point and then beyond I think
that's a good indication the pin is broken. In a relaxed state and just at
the point of throw out bearing contact with the pressure plate I believe
that the lever is at a 90 degree angle to the gearbox. I also believe that
the fork is aligned 180 degrees opposite the push rod lever. ( I may be
wrong about that as I don't have a spare handy at the moment ). I've also
disassembled a gearbox that someone had bored a 1" hole in the bellhousing
directly below the fork pin presumably to remove, drill out and replace a
broken pin. I'd like to have met that person because if they were successful
they should be buying lottery tickets.
JVV