RE: dash support brackets?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: dash support brackets?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:21:40 -0700
> It was several years ago when I dissasembled my dash and now I am
> trying to
> re-assemble it.  Moss diagrams don't really cover it, however,
> the Stanpart
> (thanks Scott) diagram shows only ONE (ab 2"x12" black metal)
> support bars.
> However, I have two in my bag of old parts so where does the other one go?

There were two, one on each side.  As I recall, there should be tabs on the
battery box, one on each side, with two holes each for the support to
attach.  The other end of both supports fastens to the bottom lip of the
dash, where again there should be two holes on each side.  ISTR both ends
use "speed" nuts clipped over the metal of the support, and sheet metal
screws.

If you look in the "Overdrive Installation" section of the factory workshop
manual page E22 (or the Bentley reprint, pg 198), there is a photo of the OD
relay installation that also shows one of the tabs on the battery box.

> Does the heater attach to these support brackets?

Yes, on cars equipped with heaters.  However the brackets were present even
on cars without the optional heater.  The heater bracket also fastens
through the firewall in one place.  There's a diagram in the workshop manual
pg N14, or Bentley pg 354.

Randall