RE: Oil pressure

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil pressure
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:16:53 -0700
> When the car is started and running the oil pressure runs at 75-80 lbs.
> As the car warms up the oil pressure starts to drop untill after about an hour
> of running it is running @ 30 lbs.

Is this at idle, or driving down the road ?

> The engine was a complete overhaul with the frame off, I have replaced the
> relif valve and spring , the pump is new and I'm running an oil bypass to the
> head.

Several people have reported that the oil bypass has an adverse effect on oil
pressure ... all that extra flow to the rockers robs pressure from the bearings
that need it.  IMO it's unnecessary anyway, as long as you use a low-sludge oil
and/or clean the rocker shaft occasionally.

> I use 10-40 valvoline in the car.
> Is this normal with heat or is there somthing I should be looking at.

I doubt it's your problem, but many years ago I found that 10W40 oil would not
hold it's viscosity in my TR3.  After just a few thousand miles, it was as thin
as water.  You might try changing the oil, and see what effect that has.

Otherwise, it's probably time to drop the pan, and check the bearings and oil
pump.  Yeah, yeah, I know they were just replaced, but sometimes new parts
aren't as good as the originals.  In particular, I've heard a lot about
defective new TR2-4 oil pumps.  Might be the same problem extends to TR6 ?

Randall