RE: Windshield wiper motor.

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: Windshield wiper motor.
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:47:05 -0400
Actually you're lucky it was fused.  When I picked up my first TR-3 many
years ago in Illinois I was driving back to North Dakota.  It started to
lightly rain so I turned the wipers on.  Everything worked fine.  Then it
started to get darker so I pulled the lights on.  The wipers immediately
stopped.  Turned the lights off and the started back up.  Turned the lights
on again and they stopped again.  I left the lights on for a short time and
soon had a lot of smoke coming out of the hood.  I found fried wires on the
wiper.  Seems the PO wired the wiper ground to the light switch.  Worked
fine until they were both in use.  Also found out that there are two types
of wiper motors.  One is grounded looking for power from the switch and the
other has power and the switch makes the ground.  Makes the wiring a little
tricky if you switch the two types.
Pete