Re: TR4 won't start

To: sltucker4@alltel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 won't start
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:17:03 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/2005 10:18:55 AM Central Standard Time,
sltucker4@alltel.net writes:
>    Long time, no see.  I'm sure you guys don't remember me... my name
> is Susan.  I bought a 1964 TR4 about 4 1/2 years ago, did all the
> body work, finally got the car painted the end of last summer and
> just about a month ago finished repainting the wire wheels.  It looks
> fantastic and has been running like a charm.  That is until my
> husband decided that he needed to mess with the carburetors a little.
> He ended up taking one of the adjusting screws all the way out.  Well
> the O-ring crumbled in his hand so we replaced it.... put the screw
> back in and now the car won't start.  It turns over fine but there
> seems to be no spark.  Are there any suggestions as to what might be
> the problem?

Let's see, he messed with the carbs and now you have no spark?  About the
only two explanations I can think of are a) the plugs are fouled or it is a
coincidence that the ignition failed while the carbs were being messed with.

The presence of spark should be easy to confirm whether the carbs are working
right or not.  Remove a spark plug wire from a plug and position it so that
the metal clip is in very close proximity but no contacting a metal part of the
engine.  A head stud works well.  Crank the engine with the ignition on.  Do
you see spark?  If not repeat with the wire from the coil.  If you see spark
there but not on the plug wire then it could be the wires, cap or rotor.  If
you see it in neither place check the coil, points, condenser and the wire that
runs between the coil and distributor.

If you get spark in both places pull the plugs and check for fouling.  Then
have an expert fix the carbs.

Just kidding on the last one.  But double check the carbs again.

Dave