RE: Starter update #3 -- where do I make the offering to the

To: "Andrew Frink" <tr4@drooartz.com>
Subject: RE: Starter update #3 -- where do I make the offering to the
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:20:17 -0700
> Really, of course, this isn't Lucas' fault, since I'm dealing with a
> non-Lucas alternator.

Nah, I'll blame them anyway for building such a wimpy generator.  If the
original generator had been say 30 amps instead of 20, we'd all be doing a
lot fewer alternator conversions.

> I checked the voltage with hot test lead on BATT, ground test lead to
> the case of the alternator. with car idling, voltage read 13 volts.
> Up the idle a bit, and I got those little pulses again. Voltage went
> to maybe 13.5 volts, at about 1 second intervals.
<>
> I now maybe suspect either something fishy in the alternator, or in
> the connector (little white plug for #1 and #2 on the alternator). It
> seems to me to be a bit loose on there. I'm trying to source another
> one to re-wire into the system to eliminate that as the possible bad
> spot.

IMO you're on the right track.  My local parts house has that connector in
the 'Help' section, perhaps yours does too.

> One other thought. Could the PO have missed something in the switch
> to - ground? Might that have an effect?

Not likely, IMO, unless perhaps the alternator was damaged by having the
battery connected backwards.

Randall