Locked keys in car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Locked keys in car
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:40:00 EDT
Probably not terribly innovative, but I have used a simple technique for
years to assist me when a family member (certainly not me :>)) has
inadvertently
locked their keys in the car.  I have a spare door key made  and put it under
the tag using one of the tag mounting screws when we first  purchase the
vehicle.  Usually, I have to drill a hole in the top of the  key to allow for
this.  On all of my vehicles that have chips in the keys,  a copy of the key
will
still open the door even though it will not start the  car.  This may not be
the case with newer models.  The real problem  with this is convincing your
spouse or children to replace the key after they  bail themselves out with it.
May be useful to someone.  YMMV.
David Gill
1976 TR6