Re: cams

To: "Randy Homanchuk" <rhomer@porchlight.ca>,
Subject: Re: cams
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:22:54 -0400
Randy,

I have not seen an answer on this so I'll give it a try.

The F Cam was one of the cams that Triumph / Kas Kastner developed for the
TR series back in the 60's. The lettering ranged from a C to a D to the F
and finally a G-3, each becoming more radical and less street friendly. The
details of the F cam performance are well documented in Kas's Race
Preparation books that are still available from TRF and are reprinted in
some of the Haynes or Bentley Manuals as well.
I don't have the Manual handy but I recall a statement against the F for
street use due to it's need for high idle and a more difficult launch from
stop as well as the need for a significant increase in compression required.
Many years ago I too contemplated using a F cam but went with the D instead.
Of course all of this was in the day that you could get leaded pump gas in
high enough octane to make all of the engine modifications worthwhile.

I'd stay with a milder cam than the F. There are many selections available
that have similar characteristics as a D Cam that will give you good street
performance and drivability.

JVV