RE: GT6 ignition query

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6 ignition query
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:28:53 -0700
> What I hope is an easily answered quick question.  1968 GT6 with Delco
> distributor. I assume it has a ballasted resistor wire. How many Ohms
> resistance? I'll need to substitute with a more conventional block for
> testing purposes.

A suitable "block" ballast resistor should be available at any auto parts
store.  If they need "make, model, year", tell them it's for a 1964 Dodge
Dart 225 slant 6.  Or TRF carries them under P/N 134176A.  They show
application as "S15G13" so I'd guess you're right about your later car
having resistor wire instead of the discrete resistor.

The ballast resistance should be around 1.5 ohms.  I believe proper units
will have a fairly high positive temperature coefficient of resistance so
the current goes down as the resistor gets hot.

For short-term testing (less than 100 miles), you can just run without a
ballast.  I've limped home that way several times over the years.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org