The electrical education of Drew, or nonalternators

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The electrical education of Drew, or nonalternators
From: Andrew Frink <tr4@drooartz.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:44:11 -0600
I think I'm getting closer to believing that the alternator in my TR4
is bad. I've done a number of wiring checks as suggested here and on
the British Car Forum:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?
Cat=0&Number=135002&an=0&page=0#135002

I also managed to finally find the voltage stabilizer (firewall on
the RH side) and it seems to be wired correctly. The strange pulsing
is still there. I'm more confident now that the problem is in the
alternator some how. One BCF member mentioned that the tests of an
alternator are often done at a higher RPM and load than I'm able to
see on my little TR4, so this anomaly may not show up in an auto
parts store test. Might be a bad voltage regulator internal to the
alternator. So I guess I'll have to go try another one, and see if I
can get it modified like mine to fit in the car.

If anyone has advice about the physical installation of one of these
Delco alternators, or a link to a good site, please pass it along.

-Drew

--
Andrew Frink
Salt Lake City, UT