TR4A Diff noise

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Diff noise
From: "David Brister" <brister@tiscali.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:19:57 +0200
I seek the views of the learned contributors to this list.

My TR has recently started to make quite a loud thump when engaging the
clutch from rest or whilst changing gear or on the overrun. This thump seems
to emanate from the differential.  A day or two back I raised the car and
checked the UJ's (all six),  tightness of shock absorbers, trailing arms,
tightness of the 4 nuts which hold the diff on. I had the box weld mod where
the diff is bolted done a few years ago. All appears to be well except that
there is about three quarters of an inch backlash on the propshaft (measured
on the circumference of the UJ flange nearest to the diff.) I suspect this
may approach 10 degrees.There are no whines or thumps when driving normally.

Is this backlash enough to cause this thumping?  If so, what is the likely
fix?

David Brister. 1967 TR4A

===     http://www.vtr.org