TR3A Felix Waxing Maleloquent

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Felix Waxing Maleloquent
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:54:15 -0400
Hello, everyone.

I normally don't want to bore the list with windy descriptions of the progress
I'm making on my TR3A restoration.  But I guess this one has me in blinking in
mild wonderment.

It's another rainy day in New Hampshire, so I took out my recently arrived
chrome luggage rack and, following instructions, rubbed on the better quality
Turtle Wax.  Buffed.  Then another coat.  Buffed again.  Stowed the rack away.
Then I got out every piece of chrome on my shelves waiting to be installed,
and spent hours this morning cleaning and putting two coats of wax on each,
even on the undersides where I could.  Took several hours to do everything
from the glove box bracket to windshield wiper bezels, to gas cap to shift and
brake levers...all of it.

I've been at this restoration for two and a half years, still haven't driven a
TR3A.  And the process still hasn't lost its attraction, even with mundane
chores like this.  I guess that's what surprises me.  Granted, when it's all
rebuilt, it will be a daily driver and I won't want to stop to mess with
little things, will certainly never wax a glove box bracket again, which must
be why I'm being probably overly fastidious now.  I'm left wondering if every
auto restorer has a bit of Felix Unger in 'em.

By the way, I know it's in archives, but I can't find it.  The stanchions came
back from the chromers with only one of the little...looks like cork...seals
still inset in their groove.  And I don't see it in Moss.  Is this available?

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A (Body off, rest mosly done...and watching for the wood steering
wheel!)
Soggy New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org