Re: TR250 Tail lamps update

To: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: TR250 Tail lamps update
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:57:59 +0100
Bill Steinman wrote:
> Based on the few data points we have, it seems to me that either (i) the
> tail lamps changed from red/red to amber/red sometime between CD5068 and
> CD7963, or (ii) they simply grabbed what was available from the parts
> bin.  Both seem plausible.

Three points here:
1. 'Grabbing what was available in the parts bin' - very implausible. The
build ticket that accompanied each car down the line (the info that is now
microfilmed and used to issue Heritage Certificates) was specific according
to market and stated clearly what lighting requirements were according to
territory spec.
2. That said, it was a well known fact that many North American buyers
wanted amber lenses front and rear for which there were separate part
numbers and these could be ordered via dealers.
3. Additionally, the many cars supplied under the personal export scheme and
delivered in the UK were fitted with 'YFR's' (yellow front and rear) because
flasing whites and reds infringed some European road traffic laws, resulting
in an on-the-spot fine. All YFR cars *should* have had their original lenses
supplied in a separate bag inside the spare wheel. There was also the
production indent code for a '431 Toolroll'  which included non-US spec
lenses.

Of course, I guess there are other variations on a theme...?

Jonmac
(Home for the Weekend)

===     http://www.vtr.org