RE: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:04:27 -0700
Tim Buja wrote :

> Look at the numbers again - the IEC fuse rating for a Lucas "35A" fuse is 17
> amps.

Which is exactly the point I am trying to make !  The IEC standard calls for
fuses to be marked with the carry current, NOT the blow current.  BUT, the blow
current is what's listed in the Triumph documentation, AND primarily what the
Lucas fuses were marked with.  (Later Lucas fuses had both ratings marked, but
the blow current was in larger letters.)

> Replacing
> - the Lucas "35A" fuse with an AGC 35 fuse will let your wiring
> - harness pass 47.25 amps for up to an hour, or 70 amps for up to
> - four minutes.

And replacing the Lucas "35A" fuse with an IEC 35 amp fuse will let your wiring
harness pass 52.5 amps for at least an hour.  Or 73.5 amps for up to 30 minutes.

> You don't want to put a 35 AGC fuse in its place in the fuse box.

I agree, absolutely.  But the same thing goes for an IEC 35 amp fuse.

If you are going to use either a UL or an IEC fuse, you MUST apply a translation
to the current rating.  Only "Lucas" fuses (and reproductions of same) are
marked with the same rating shown in the Triumph documentation.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org