Re: thermostats and radiator ducts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: thermostats and radiator ducts
From: "Kentech Home Technology" <kentech@midmaine.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:36:57 -0400
> The fiberboard radiator duct [MOSS 855-125 (TR3), 855-130 (TR4)] is an

> inexpensive and must-have item

>> True, but it was only fitted to later TR3A by the factory.  TR3 and
early TR3A did not have it originally.

The reason for the front mounted duct is *required* because the wide
mouth TR3s let too much air around the radiator to be effective. I have
a pusher electric fan on my 3A which did not have the duct installed
when we bought it. Attempting to install a VB fiberboard duct was
futile; no way would it fit over the electric fan even after I cut the
wings off. So I fabricated two separate aluminum panels which bolt to
the elec fan mounting bolts (should have done this to begin with!) The
new panels block most of the side air. Temp now hits 185 slower and
stays there even without the electric fan turned on. Of course, it's not
summer here in Maine anymore too. Time will tell.

Btw, I purchase a 4lbs cap from TRF to replace the Stant lever type 4lbs
cap, and the new cap pushed a lek in the heater so I change back. Guess
I'll be pulling the heater this winter for a check by my radiator guy.

Peter

===     http://www.vtr.org