RE: TR6 Motor Spec. Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Motor Spec. Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:21:04 -0700
> New bronze valve guides had been  installed.
> The member who
> removed the valves commented that they were tighter than he had expected
> them to be.

FWIW, bronze guides frequently need to be reamed after installation, and at
least the exhaust guides are supposed to be reamed larger than the original
cast iron ones.  Failing to do this may lead to stuck valves.  I don't know
the clearances offhand, so I'd suggest another call to Ken G.

If I'm not mistaken, he also recommends not using seals with the bronze
guides on street motors, as the seals kill the lubrication to the guide and
shorten it's life.

> >I don't have a TR6 manual handy, but even that sounds large for a stock
> >motor.  Usual is more like .006 - .010.
>
> You could be right Randall, I am just going from memory.

Me too, so I could just as easily be wrong.

Good luck,
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org