RE: symptoms of bad coil?

To: "'Tim Gaines'" <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: symptoms of bad coil?
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:58:24 -0500
Tim,
The symptom for me was a miss that got worse as the coil got hotter.
Initially, the miss only happened at speed. Toward the end, it also happened
while going through the gears. My last ride with the bad coil was a
backfiring nightmare. Like you, I had done all of the normal plug/point
maintenance items.

Unfortunately there's no test you can do for a bad coil (or at least that's
what I was told). All you can do is replace it and see what happens. Make
sure you get the right one for you car i.e. ballast vs non-ballast.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org