Into The TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Into The TR4
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 16:02:13 EST
Hey Guys,
OK, nobody really wants it so I am into it.  So far the battery box  area has
been cleaned up and coated with POR then sprayed with Rustoleum.   Looks
fair, just a couple of holes in the bottom and way off color.  Not  sure if I
am
just going to make it harder for an eventual body restoration  but I just can't
stand ugly rust.  Interesting, right above what would be  the top of the
battery is a rip in the firewall that looks, I suppose, like the  Titanic to
scale.  Must have been a battery BLOW UP sometime in the life of  this Four.
Bought a fiberglass kit but again am I just going to make it  harder to restore
properly?
On to the front end and upon disassembly I discover that the left has been
hit slightly bending the left bumper bracket and twisting the bumper bar.   The
grille is also missing one of it's mounting tabs and is generally in  poor
shape. New grilles are $400, Oh Boy!
Checked out the Boot and it is pretty good except for a weak spot of rust
along the right hand bottom seam.  Have not yet grabbed the POR and  Rustoleum
yet but I am tempted.  Again, should I just wait for the Body  Man? Paint is a
Bitch!  I tried to rub out the Bonnet, Booth and  Fenders but it is beyond
salvage. I am seeing a few worrisome rust spots.  That will no doubt be where
the
big bucks will be required.
On the plus side I have given TRF an order for some parts and really  enjoyed
that!  One of my favorite pastimes.  My buddy Scot Harper at  Team Triumph is
helping out with used spares and Moss Parts so Life Is  Good.
Dreams include Concours winner or maybe just a real nice driver since  the
original stuff is just to hard.  For Sure I need an OD  gearbox!  And the
Surrey
will be on this One.
Cheers,
Darrell