TR6 valve seats

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 valve seats
From: "Paul Mitchell" <paul@cynthesys.co.za>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 10:21:57 +0200
Listers,

My mechanic has been trying and failing to fix a persistent
mis/back-fire on my TR6. Have changed or fixed everything he can think
of, he reckons that it may be a cracked valve seat. The car pops and
spits a few times when it's cold, then idles unevenly, and no. 2
cylinder is apparently cooler than the others. Other than that it seems
to be fine. Does his diagnosis sound reasonable?

If it does sound fair, then what is involved in fixing it, given that
while I've got the head off, I might as well prepare for unleaded fuel?

Thanks

Paul
74 TR6 PI
Cape Town