Re: TR4 status and ZS question

To: deruiterville@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 status and ZS question
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:29:25 EST
In a message dated 12/13/2005 8:09:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
deruiterville@hotmail.com writes:

I'm  assuming my problem is a stuck needle valve or bad float which allows
fuel  to flood the carburetor - but I wanted to ask the list if that sounds
reasonable.  I really didn't want to break apart the carbs - if the  needle
valve is just gummed up from old fuel, has anyone had similar  experiences
and can recommend something to feed into the carburator to  degum it?

unfortunately, that does sound reasonable
BUT you CAN remove the float bowl and replace needle valve and/or  float and
reset float height without removing the carb from the car - a bit  awkward but
sure saves time (use an inspection mirror)
I like using Moss part #366090 to replace needle valves - comes up as  an MG
part, but its the same needle valve used in ZS TR8 carbs and  later MGs with
the same ZS carb (fits all ZS carbs AFAIK) - has a screen on  entry side that
prevents ingress of debris.
NEVER use grose jets

Cheers
Jack Mc