TR3 heater rant

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 heater rant
From: d spence <dkspence@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:37:42 -0700
> John
Standard practice here in the great white north, (where the temps could
reach -40 on either scale, was to use cardboard in front of the rad or
grill. (Grille is better as their is less chance of overheating  as
some cold air will reach the rad.)  When I , in my student days, drove
an 1960 Envoy (Vauxhall) I would have to adjust the cardboard depending
on the temp. Volvo, as usual, had a better idea in the 122 (Amazon)
which was fitted with a roll screen in front of the rad with a chain
that fed through to the dash so you could adjust the blocked area of
the rad from inside the car. Pull it all the way up at start-up, and
lower as the temp gauge demanded.
In the TR4A, blocking most of the grill, directly in front of the rad
worked well as the ram air effect was essentially defeated and the fan
could draw air through.

For *effective* use of the heater on any TR up to 6, always open the
centre
top vent. Ensure you have the correct mix of anti-freeze, the water
pump and
thermostat are working. What many of us overlook is that in the days
when
the TR2 and 3 were in production, it was absolutely normal to blank off
part
of the radiator. I do remember seeing TR2's with a full plastic cover
across
their air intakes with two flaps in the cover to let in some of the cold
air. ISTR this was made by Bluemels and sold by the Parts Division as a
Stanpart Accessory. This applies to the UK but surely the same was done
in
the US?

Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org