Re: Lost my key . . . now what?

To: tom_winslow@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lost my key . . . now what?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:32:56 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From tom winslow <tom_winslow at yahoo.com>
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Sent: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:10:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Lost my key . . . now what?

  I lost my only key to my 1966 TR4A IRS. Have never
made a copy becaue I could not find the blanks.

How do I get out of this mess?

==AM==
Don't panic (yet), Tom. Did one key operate ignition, glovebox door AND
trunk locks?  or was this ignition / door only?

Most (but not all) OE ignition switchs will have the key number on the
face, i.e., FS 950. That's the "key" to getting a new key. I know that
most Herald door lock assemblies also had key numbers stamped on them,
but I'm not as familiar with the 4A in that area, nor am I sure about
what the glovebox lock might have. The trunk handle (hope it wasn't
locked) should have a key number stamped on the square shaft.

Worst case scenario is to pull out the ignition switch complete and
take it to a good locksmith. Again, as a 1966, I'd presume it to be the
"FS" series "Union" (Wilmot-Breeden) key, but it might be an older "FP"
series.

Good luck!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org