RE: WD-40 turnover?

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WD-40 turnover?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:12:40 -0800
> <<Second
> If you really cannot resist the temptation to turn it over, real oil not
> contaminated water or whatever it is that they label as WD40!>>
>
> I attended a Tech Session a number of years ago that had a Rep from them
> "explaining" his product.
>
> He STATED that the aerosol version CONTAINS water!!

So of course you believed him rather than the company that makes the stuff ?
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

I've played a bit with WD40, and frankly do not believe it contains water.
It does contain hydrogen and oxygen, but so does gasoline !  Just for one
example, if WD40 contained water it would do bad things when heated above
boiling.  Instead it just smokes and eventually burns, like any oil would.

Which doesn't make WD40 a good lubricant, or a good penetrating oil, or good
preservative oil or best for any purpose, IMO.  I think of it as cheap,
convenient and "good enough" for many non-critical applications.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org