four ring pistons

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: four ring pistons
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:50:01 -0600
Well, somebody has to say it.

The first set of pistons I bought for my vintage racer, ten years
ago, were four ring pistons. I conferred with ring manufacturers and
we all agreed that with the advances in ring technology in the last
40 years, the fourth ring was excess baggage. I used those pistons
with three rings for three years in my race car. They were fine. I
wouldn't hesitate to leave off that bottom ring. No modern car uses
such a thing. The pistons performed just fine, too, even with the
6000 rpm redline that I saw on a regular basis.

uncle jack

===     http://www.vtr.org