[TR] TR6 Head Gasket Coolant Holes Blocked?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Head Gasket Coolant Holes Blocked?
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:02:59 -0700
BlankList,

Looking at the old head gasket now on the 6 it seems the gasket covers about
1/8 inch of the 7/16 holes in the head and block that the coolant passes
through.  That's about a 25% blockage on each of the 10 holes.  When I looked
at the replacement head gasket the holes on it are 5/16 inch in diameter not
the 7/16 inch that the holes in the head and block are.

First off I'm thinking this HAD to have been affecting the cooling capability
of the engine didn't it?  Or is there some kind of venturi effect caused by
the coolant going through a smaller hole in the gasket that I haven't thought
of?

Second, should I use my gasket punch to make the holes in the new gasket as
big as the holes in the block and head?

Anyone else noticed this apparent blockage by their head gasket(s)?

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

===     http://www.vtr.org