[TR] 48 spoke wire wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] 48 spoke wire wheels
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:46:58 -0800 (PST)
Well, the rear brakes are working nicely on TS75434. This is one of the fastest
completion times on a project. Though I must admit, I took the cheap and easy
way out. I disassembled only one brake to clean up all the gunk (I think axle
leak is correct and will keep an eye on this). The greasy shoes cleaned up very
well and look great now. The driver's side drum was dry and just needed the
brake dust cleaned up. Total time was under 2 hours and I now have a VERY solid
lock-up with the handbrake up all the way. There seem to be seven clicks until
full travel on the handbrake - sound correct? I don't get much brake action
until 4 clicks. 4 and 5 produce good resistance, but it isn't until 6 or 7 that
it looks up good and proper. I'm sure I could fine tune it by replacing cables
and such, but I feel way too lazy right now.

Next question goes to the wheels. They are vintage 48 spokers. All 48 spokes on
one wheel feel nice with good tension. The other wheel almost all 48 spokes
feel a bit loose. Hard to tell which is off, as I can see nice tight spokes
being useful to keep stress points down. But I can see a slight looseness being
appropriate since the wheel is off. When the weight of the car is on the wheel,
the spokes all tighten up. There are no local shops that true wire wheels -
it's an hour drive at least. Can I try truing them myself? Is there a good
guide out there for this?

Richard
TS75434 - waiting on carbs

===     http://www.vtr.org