[TR] Final transmission rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Final transmission rebuild
From: Harrymague@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:14:43 EST
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my previous tranny questions.   But
here I go again.  I am down to the final measurements and  assembly.  I rebuilt
the tranny using the later  steel bushings.   The top hat bushing comes in
two parts, the bushing and the top hat is a  washer.  The washer is a couple of
1000ths thicker than the brass top hat  bushing.  Even going to the .118
spacer washer, I was not able to get even  .003, but a little rubbing on 400
grit
emery and I got the proper  clearance.  Next, and this is the question, when I
put the synchos on, I  don't get the proper clearance value, .030,as per the
manual.  As a  matter of fact, the second gear is down right tight to get on.
The races  that the synchos sit on each gear are in great shape. These are new
syncho,  supposely NOS.  Should I work the synchos to get down to .030 or is
a  larger value OK.  Thanks again.
Harry Mague
74 TR6
Beavercreek, OH