RE: [TR] Priming the SUs?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Priming the SUs?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:55:11 -0800
> I am having two problems, well 3, the first is my gas is about 2 mths old.
> Secondly, my intake manifold may be somewhat misaligned and creating a
> vacuum leak (although undetedectable with lights and mirrors even with the
> starter out).  Thirdly, it only runs when gas is dribbled into
> the mouths of
> the SU's (the fuel bowls are full) so it's getting gas.  I just
> rebuilt both
> these carbs I thought correctly.  Do I need to somehow prime these carbs?

Should be no need to "prime" the carbs, although the engine will likely need
some choke to keep running at first.

> Maybe these problems are connected?  Any suggestions?

I think you mentioned using "Grose" jets ... friend of mine had nearly new
ones stick shut on him, apparently from sitting too long with gas drying in
them.  We solved the problem by putting the old conventional ones back in.

To check, remove the float bowl lids.  You should be able to see that the
float is riding on the fuel in the bowl, such that the top of the float is
near the top of the bowl.  If not, you have a fuel delivery problem.

The TR3 fuel tank is open to the atmosphere all the time, so the more
volatile components of gasoline can evaporate.  I would expect 2 month old
gas to work, but be somewhat hard to start.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org