RE: [TR] TR3A, setting the liners

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <Popnglo@aol.com>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A, setting the liners
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:13:44 -0400
Hi Ed,
I don't think you want to torque the liners in. Make sure you have a real
clean joint area on both the bottom of the block and the bottom of the
liner. Apply gasket cement to the block, the metal liner gasket and the
bottom of the liner. The goal here is to slide the cylinder down until it
seats on the block and secure them with some sort of stud, washer
arrangement. Not tight enough to deform the metal gaskets but tight enough
to keep the liners installed during the piston installation.
The actual torque sequence should be when you install the cylinder head.
Think of it like this.. If you torqued the liners by themselves, how can you
ensure that the seal at the top will be correct when you install the head?
Remember you need to maintain 0.005 or so of cylinder sleeve above the block
surface so the head gasket can seal correctly when you torque the head down.
When you torque the head down, you seal the bottom of the cylinders by
deforming the sleeve gasket, and you seal the top by deforming the head
gasket. That all has to happen at one time. If you force the sleeves down
too far by torquing them separatley, you may (probably) screw up the 0.005
sleeve protusion out of the top of the block.
Hope this helps,
Dave Connitt

Ed wrote,

I'm ready to set the liners into the block. What torque should I set the
liners in at, (100-105 ft lbs)?. I intend to use the studs, with large
washer
using the the old grudeon pins .

TIA Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)