[TR] TR3 fuel pumps and vacuum leaks RELATED?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 fuel pumps and vacuum leaks RELATED?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:36:07 -0400
Doug Mathews helped me put my tranny back in my car today.  Thanks Doug!

I can't figure it out, I've only ran my proffessionally rebuilt TR4 engine
about 15 minutes since I got it back togather and already it needs it's
second rebuilt fuel pump!  Maybe thats partly due to the fact that I rebuilt
both of them.  I buy alot of rebuild kits off ebay and that may account for
strange fitting diaphrams, etc.
    But the biggest new/old problem is that I think I may have another
vacuum leak as there is no suction at the mouth of the carb. This was a
symptom of a problem several weeks ago.  Not wanting to take off the
manifolds, I made alot of other attempts, but finally ended up removing both
manifolds and replacing the gaskets (one of the gaskets I blamed for the
lack of suction in the rear carburetor).  Since replacing that, I've run the
engine relatively smoothly at about  2000 rpm for about 10 minutes.  That
was last week.
    Today, I ran it for about 45 seconds and it wanted to backfire, I don't
exactly trust my spark plug wiring and that may be responsible for this.  In
addition to this problem, I felt no sucktion at the rear carb,  JUST LIKE
BEFORE!!   I doubt it's likely, but it seems that same problems have occured
twice during that 15 minutes of runtime, and I wonder if their related- 2
fuel pumps have quit working and the same rear SU has had two vacuum leaks.
Does anyone have any good advice?  I hope the first 15 minutes of runtime is
not indicative of what it's like to own a TRiumph!
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey 60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org